We have scheduled our outdoor Seeds to Starts workshop for fall 2021. This will be our first event at our new home base at The Training Kitchen.
What is Seeds to Starts?
In this two part workshop, we start many of the vegetables and herbs that we will plant in our gardens during our Dig-ins. Join us for one or both parts to learn how to start growing your own vegetables from seed. You’ll also be helping us help Austinites have better access to nutritious, affordable food. At these hands-on workshops, participants learn how to prepare soil for seeds, how to plant seeds, and how to transfer seedlings into starter pots. GCP uses the starter plants produced in these workshops in our gardens and you’ll be able to take some home for your own garden.
In Part 1, we’ll start our seeds in flats and trays and in Part 2, we’ll bump them to individual 4 inch pots. Note that the two workshops are independent – you can attend either one individually, or if you like, both. No gardening experience is needed — just dress appropriately for the weather and bring a water bottle and gloves.
2021 Fall Seeds to Starts workshop dates and registration:
- Seeds to Starts Part 1 Saturday, July 31, 8:30 – noon – register here
- Seeds to Starts Part 2 Saturday, August 21, 8:30 – noon – register here
Concerns about Covid in the Austin area have increased in the last two weeks because of rising infections and hospitalizations, primarily among unvaccinated individuals. Green Corn Project is following the City of Austin’s recommended practices for safe outdoor activities in Stage 3.
- Fully vaccinated individuals can participate in outdoor private gatherings without masking.
- Partially vaccinated or unvaccinated individuals, who are low-risk, can participate in outdoor private gatherings while wearing a mask.
- Partially vaccinated or unvaccinated individuals, who are high-risk, should avoid non-essential indoor and outdoor private gatherings.
- Please wear a mask at all times (regardless of your vaccination status) if you need to go indoors to use the restroom in The Training Kitchen.
What to do on the Seeds to Starts Workshop day
Please be sure to check your e-mail both the night before and the morning of the workshop as it is possible that we may need to reschedule because of weather or other reasons. For the workshop, be prepared to be outside and bring water and protection from the weather. Also, although the workshops are scheduled for 8:30 a.m. to noon, we are sometimes finished by 11.
We will meet at 1901 Matthews Lane in Southwest Austin. Look for the Green Corn Project sign on the tall chainlink fence. This is where you enter the property. You can park on the side streets in the surrounding neighborhood.