The dates are set for our 2018 fall Dig-ins!
We’ve extended our fall dig-ins due to the weather – see below for details
Dig-ins are our primary mission – this is when teams of volunteers go to garden sites and either install a new garden or clean up an existing one. No experience is needed to be a volunteer and you do not need to do anything in advance. Groups are welcome (just contact us to work out the details) and feel free to bring your children though we ask that you accompany them at all times. Anyone wishing to get more involved should consider becoming a dig-in team leader by attending our Dig-in Leader Training workshop.
Fall Dig-in Dates
- Saturday, September 8, 8:45am – noon – complete
- Sunday, September 9, 8:45am – noon – canceled due to rain
- Saturday, September 15, 8:45am – noon – complete
- Sunday, September 16, 8:45am – noon – complete
- Saturday, September 22, 1:00pm – 4:00pm – complete – delayed due to rain
- Sunday, September 23, 8:45am – noon – complete
- Saturday, September 29, 8:45am – noon – complete
- Sunday, September 30, 8:45am – noon – complete
- Saturday, October 6, 8:45am – noon – complete
- Saturday, October 13, 8:45 – noon – complete
- Sunday, October 14, 8:45 – noon – complete
- Saturday, October 20, 8:45 – noon – Register here
- Sunday, October 21, 8:45 – noon – Register here
What to do on the Dig-in day
Please be sure to check the website and your e-mail both the night before and the morning of the Dig-in, as it is possible that we may need to reschedule because of weather, ground conditions, or other reasons. Please bring sun protection, shoes with sturdy soles (digging in flip flops is no fun), water or other beverages, gardening gloves if you use them, and snacks or lunch if you want them. We will provide all the necessary tools and instruction, you do not need any prior training. Plan on staying till 1pm although most teams are able to finish before then.
When and where to meet up
We will meet at 1210 Rosewood Avenue. Please arrive by 8:45am. We will assemble outside in the area behind the building. There is not a sign out front that says “Green Corn Project”, so look for a sign for Rawsome. This map and photo should help you find us. If you come by car, there is limited parking in back but there is additional parking in the surrounding neighborhood. If you park in back, please use caution entering the lot. If you bicycle, there is a bicycle rack on the east side of the building you can lock your bike to. Please do not chain your bicycle to the entrance ramp rails at the front or back entrances as this can block access.
After you arrive, look for a person with a clipboard and please sign in and grab a name tag. It may seem a bit chaotic at first as we gather tools, sort plants, and bag compost – someone will help you find a task. Once we’re ready and everyone has arrived, we’ll assemble, chat about the day, and then you will be assigned to a Dig-in team. You and your team members will exchange phone numbers, learn the destination, and travel to the garden sites (carpooling is encouraged). If you have an appropriate vehicle and would be willing to help transport tools and/or compost to the garden site(s), let us know when you sign in.